Does your toddler refuse to eat certain foods or eat the same foods over again? Not to worry, it is perfectly normal for children to become picky eaters.
Here are some tips to help your child eat new foods:
- Offer a variety of nutritious foods at each meal.
- Offer one new food at a time, along with foods your child likes.
- You may need to offer a new food as many as 15 times before your child will eat it.
- Do not expect your child to eat everything.
- Avoid mealtime battles with your child. Do not force your child to eat. It may only make your child pickier. It is up to you to offer nutritious foods and up to your child to decide if, what, and how much she/he will eat.
- If vegetables are a problem, try to use fresh vegetables. Children may like these better than canned or frozen vegetables.
- Have your child choose healthy foods at the store and help you prepare meals. Children often like to eat foods that they have helped choose and prepare.