Do you know that the amount of food served in many restaurants is much more than we need? Super sizing encourages us to overeat! Knowing adequate portion sizes is a great start to eating healthy!
Do you know what one serving of cooked pasta looks like? Can you picture 3 ounces of meat? Here are some ideas that may help you remember what a serving size looks like:
- 1 ounce of cheese is about the size of 4 dice
- 1 fruit serving is about the size of a baseball
- 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry is about the size of a deck of cards
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is about the size of a large marshmallow
- 1/2 cup of cooked pasta or rice is the size of a tennis ball cut in half
To make sure you don't overeat when eating out, share a meal with someone or take half the meal home to eat later.