Breastfeeding is an important thing to do. The following mostly discusses how the non breastfeeding parent can make it easier for their partner to breastfeed.
Why should partners encourage breastfeeding?
- Research shows that breastfed babies have fewer colds and ear infections.
- The nutrients in breastmilk help build the baby's brain and immune system.
- Breastmilk is always the right temperature and ready to serve.
- Breastfeeding builds a close bond between mother, father, and baby.
How can fathers be a part of the breastfeeding team?
- Here are some suggestions:
- Help around the house. If there are other children, take care of them so mom can get some rest.
- Take your baby to mom for breastfeeding. If mom needs something while she's breastfeeding, offer to get it for her.
- Do things that will make mom feel good about herself:
- Praise her for breastfeeding
- Do something special for her
- Be proud!
- Make time for just you and your baby. Babies need cuddles and hugs from their dads, too.
- When mom is breastfeeding, help her feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Your support can make mom feel more comfortable about breastfeeding, even in public.
- When the baby gets hungry and needs to eat in public, mom can breastfeed without people noticing her.
- Mom can use a blanket or a shawl to cover up while breastfeeding. People will think she's simply cuddling the baby.